A Unique Community Collaboration
- The health center is an open two-story plan including an elevated running track circling over the gymnasiums. It will target 3,250 memberships by the third year of operations. Membership categories will be for individuals ($49/month), couples ($79/month) and families ($99/month).
- The aquatics center will include a competition pool with diving well to support the Elkhart high school swimming programs and will host 8-16 regional competitions. It includes a recreational pool, a warm water therapy pool, and locker rooms for the high school programs and the public.
- The community center will be available to the public and will include a gymnasium, large outdoor terrace, and multiple, flexible meeting rooms.
- Playroom and drop-in child services will be available for members’ families.
- Outdoor sports and fitness spaces will be available on the north side of the building facing the river.
The Sustainability Requirement
The prior Elkhart YMCA/EYCC was built with no endowment or long-term financial plan to maintain the facility. Thus, recurring maintenance and repair issues became unwieldy and impossible to cover with the declining membership.
The Elkhart Health Fitness Aquatics and Community Center has funded a $10MM endowment. This will annually contribute $500,000 towards the operations of the Aquatics Center, thereby ensuring the Center’s success and sustainability.
Prior members of the Elkhart Youth Community Center (EYCC), local philanthropists, and the Community Foundation of Elkhart County are responsible for funding the aquatics center, community center, and endowment. Beacon Health System will fund the health and fitness center and they will operate the facility.
Please join us and make an investment into the health, wellness and connection of our community for generations to come.